We launched 10 Academy with the vision of helping to developing Africa, at speed and scale.
Our mission is to find some of Africa’s best and brightest young people and to enable them to use their talent, work ethic and modern technology to launch solutions that can impact Africa at speed and scale.
Only 8% of young people in Africa attend university today. Africa has an estimated 10 million young people that could enter university annually but less than 1 million (less than 8%) enter university – this leaves 9 million people (92%) that lose their chance to have impact at scale in Africa. The access issue is compounded by the fact that most of the 92% were denied the opportunity to have impact as a result of living in the wrong places, being from the wrong social situation or other factors beyond control. We are convinced that there are extremely talented young people within the 92% which are currently excluded from the university system and so we look to empower this population.
This matters because Africa currently has a set of challenges (or opportunities) which need to be solved and which could impact large numbers of people. These include challenges in the sectors of healthcare, education, infrastructure, finance, entertainment and more.
Research in diverse fields has demonstrated that it is a select group of people that go onto have outsized (10x) impact of their peers.
10 Academy is a simple collection of these ideas – we aim to find the most talented young people (intelligence + work ethic + creativity), give them training in modern skills (so they can do more, faster), create a culture of changemaking in them and connect them with opportunities so that they can launch their careers.