1. Applications start via our pre-application process by answering a few simple questions. Our team will review your application and suitable candidates will be admitted to the 10 Academy UpSkill platform. (5 minute completion time)
2. Complete the rest of your profile on UpSkill including your work experience, educational experience and other information. Bridge gaps and acquire expertise in areas relevant to careers in data science. Complete specific questions to be considered as a 10 Academy Fellow. (Profile completion – 2 hours; UpSkill – no limit)
3. Highest performers will be selected as 10 Academy Fellows and be invited for a one-month in-person training. Tuition-free and all accommodation and meals covered. It is expected that all Fellows will be placed into paid internships within 6 months of their training.
10 Academy selects on the basis of the applicants’
Creativity and Bias to scale
- Work readiness
We evaluate this using your responses to our application questions AND by seeing how quickly you are able to grow your skills on UpSkill.
Applicants selected for the 10 Academy UpSkilling platform will gain access to a set of courses through which they can both learn new skills and showcase their potential. Progress on courses in UpSkill will be part of the selection process for admission as a 10 Academy Fellow and UpSkilling courses will be carefully designed to provide skills relevant to jobs in Data Science fields.
Applicants selected as 10 Academy Fellows undertake a one-month residential course, with small class sizes of approximately 30 Fellows at a time. This enables Fellows to develop close relationships with their peers, their instructors and to work in small learning groups.
Content is focused on providing knowledge, skills, networks and cultural change to make Fellows into change-makers.
Topics covered include:
1. Identifying problems to be solved in Africa
2. Design thinking
3. Big Data
4. Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence
5. Agile Software Development
7. Entrepreneurship, lean startup, management
The course period is designed to be intense over 4-weeks, running 7 days per week and with long days to be expected.
Social and cultural activities will be part of the training as well, including guest lectures, discussions and excursions.
Throughout the month-long training, Fellows will work together on group projects, applying the learnings from their courses.
To launch the careers of 10 Academy Fellows, nearly all 10 Academy Fellows will take up paid internships after 10 Academy. The target is to place 90% of 10 Academy Fellows as interns within 6 months of completing the training, with each 10 Academy Fellow having an active role to play in identifying, interviewing and searching for internships for him/herself.
In 2019, 10 Academy will focus on Data Science – this means that placements will tend to be in positions such as:
Internships would normally be 6 months in duration.
Why apply to 10 Academy
10 Academy identifies Africa’s highest potential young people and prepares them for careers with 10x impact.
10 Academy charges no tuition or fees at any stage in the process – if you are selected as a 10 Academy Fellow, your accommodation and meals are covered and you only cover your transportation to the location. If you’re flying in, we’ll even collect you from the airport.
The 10 Academy UpSkill platform is designed for talented young Africans – showcasing potential instead of past achievements and allowing UpSkilling towards getting data science jobs.
Courses taught by leading lecturers in the field – focus on enabling you to self-teach for long-term impact.
Reputation – 10 Academy has been supported by many leading organizations.
Data science – Our 2019 edition will focus on data science – a growing field that offers exceptional growth opportunities and impact opportunities.
Peer network – develop a close bond of supporters and colleagues to support you as you move ahead in your career.
Multiple exit points – Opportunities for all members of the upskilling platform to match with jobs, even those who are not selected as 10 Academy Fellows.
Small class sizes – in 2019, 10 Academy expects to have classes no larger than 35 students. Get to know all of your fellow students and develop a close relationship with your academic staff.
More information on applying
Start your application process here.
The first step is a brief application for admission to our full platform – this should take no more than 5 minutes.
Venue: Ashesi University Campus, Berekuso Ghana
Holding a passport from an African country
Holding (or anticipate holding) a university degree with a completion date in 2018 or 2019.
While all nationalities are welcome to apply, only nationals of Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria and Rwanda will be considered as Fellows this time. Other countries will be added as soon as possible and once internships can be found in those countries.